Butter biscuits were my childhood favourites. These biscuits are simple to make and are so comforting. This is a quick tea time treat. I like to use strawberry jam but you can use any flavour of your choice. I hope you would like them as much as I did baking them.
Difficulty: Easy 🙂
Prep Time: 45 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Resting: 5 mins Yield: 24 biscuits
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons quick rise yeast
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam, store bought or homemade
Oven, large mixing bowl, blender, mixing spoon, baking sheet, parchment paper, cookie cutter, piping bag
- Preheat oven to 400F/204C.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and yeast. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Using a blender, combine butter with the dry ingredients mixture till it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually pour in the buttermilk to the mixture and stir to combine. Stir in enough of buttermilk to form a damp dough.
- Knead the dough over well-floured surface with floured hands until it is tender.
- Roll the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness, fold it in half, and roll it to a 2/3 inch thickness.
- Cut out the biscuits using a cutter and place them 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cut 1-inch slit half through the center of each biscuit. Using a piping bag, pipe about one teaspoon of jam into the slit.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Bake biscuits for 15 minutes or until golden brown.