Even a great store bought danish will never taste as fresh as the one you’ve baked. Now imagine it warm, emerging from your oven, extremely buttery and fresh. This cream cheese danish is so easy to make and also beautiful as we are making a braided danish instead of a regular one.
Prep Time: 25 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Resting: 10 mins Serves: 6
Making puff pastry is an all-day process of folding and refrigerating over and over again. I will share the process in a separate post. You can make or buy it from the store. However, nothing tastes better than the homemade one.
Puff Pastry Sheet
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Strawberry jam, or any flavour of your choice
Oven, mixing bowl, hand mixer, rolling pin, baking sheet, knife
- Preheat oven to 385F/195C.
- In a mixer, beat softened cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla essence and beat until combined. Set aside.
- Using rolling pin, lightly roll the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Smear cream cheese mixture onto the center of pastry.
- Add a few tablespoons of the strawberry jam on top lightly spreading it.
- With a knife, cut to make a rectangle at the top and bottom of the puff pastry. Fold the flaps over and pinch to seal. This will prevent leaks while the pastry bakes.
- Make slits on each side.
- Fold each flap over onto the other side. Like a braid, continue until you reach the end and pinch to seal. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake at 385 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.