Bisi Bele Bath is a South Indian main dish from the state of Karnataka. The word Bisi Bele Bath means Hot Lentil Rice. This dish is usually made using rice. This is a healthier, low carb version of the dish.
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 25 mins Serves: 2
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories: 264 cal Carb: 26g Fat: 11.45g Protein: 9.5g Fiber: 9.25g
- 1/2 Cup Millet Blend/ Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Extract
- 2 – 3 tbsp Bisi Bele Bath Powder
- 2 carrots, Chopped
- 8 – 10 French Beans, Chopped
- 1 medium sized Onion, Chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt, required
- Cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 Dry red chillies
- few nos curry leaves
Pressure Cooker, small frying pan
- Rinse Millets and Dal in water.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker. Add Onions and Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add Vegetables and saute for a while. Add millets and dal. Give a quick mix and add around 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for four whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, add tamarind extract. (Mix 1 tbsp of tamarind extract with 1/2 cup of water). Add required salt.
- Add bisi bele powder( store bought or homemade) to the blend.and mix well. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of ghee. Add mustard seeds, red chillies and Curry leaves. Let it splutter. Add the tempering to bisi bele bath.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee.